- 1 large can chick peas well drained and pulsed in blender until smooth.
- 1/4 cup mixed nuts such as cashews, peanuts or almonds – crushed in a blender until a fine powder.
- Celery and red, yellow or green pepper to taste – pulsed in blender to your preferred consistency.
I didn’t have parsley, but it’s a nice add.
- Flour for binding, enough to make firm but not dry dough.
- Baking soda, 1 tsp or more, according to how much flour you have added. Don’t put too much as it will change the taste.
- Oil and water to bind the mixture together.
- Spices to taste.
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- chilli flakes
- chilli powder
- lemon pepper
I didn’t have turmeric & cumin, but those are nice ones to have.
- Bowl and spoon for mixing.
- Container to put rolled falafel balls on.
- Cooking oil.
- Pot for frying/deep fryer.
- Serving bowl/plate lined with paper towel.
Combine all ingredients in bowl and mix until it forms a dough.
It shouldn’t be watery or too dry. You should be able to roll the dough into firm balls.
If the dough is too wet, add more flour or nut “flour”.
The dough should be moist but not sticky.
Roll into balls or form small burger shaped patties.
Once you have enough falafel balls/veggie patties ready, heat up your oil in a cooking pot or use a deep fryer, whatever is easier for you.
I used setting 5 on my stovetop, that’s medium heat.
Drop the falafel/veggie patties into hot oil carefully and cook until dark brown, but not burnt.
Have a bowl or plate lined with paper towel ready for the cooked falafels.
Serve falafel/veggie patties with tzatziki sauce and hummus.
If making a sandwich, serve inside warmed pita bread with chopped tomatoes, chopped red onions, sprouts, chopped cucumber, pickles, whatever veggies you like.
Serve with a garden salad or Greek salad and brown rice.
Enjoy and feel free to add your own twist to this recipe!